In our everyday life, we see lots of people undergoing stressful conditions. These stressful conditions often take the form of a crisis. A crisis is a state of disequilibrium where a person is unable to cope with a particularly stressful/terrible event. In order to become a certified counselor for Crisis intervention, you need to take Crisis Intervention Training Course.
Types of Crisis:
Signs and Symptoms of Crisis:
- Negligence of responsibilities
- Blaming others
- Emotional distress
- Physical distress/stress distress
- Behavioral changes
Harmful Effects of Crisis:
- Unemployment/dissatisfaction with the job
- Poor self-esteem
- Unable to handle daily life situations
Crisis Intervention involves methods that are used to provide short-term help to people who have been affected emotionally, mentally, or physically due to some unfavorable condition.
The job of a Crisis Intervention Counselor:
The Crisis Intervention trainer should follow these on encountering the patient:
- Use specific and concise statement
- Avoid excessive details and overwhelming questions
- Encourage the client to verbal and facial expressions
- Use proper techniques of communication i.e., listening, paraphrasing, and reflection.
- Give sufficient time to the client
- Assist client to face reality
Techniques used for Crisis Intervention:
|Provision of releasing of feelings; whatever comes to the patient’s mind.
|Encourage the patient to express more clearly the relationship between certain events.
|In this technique, a person can be influenced to accept an idea or a belief.
|Using the patient’s emotions wishes to benefit the patient in the therapeutic process.
|Use possible behavior and avoid negative unhealthy behavior.
|Support of Defenses
|In this technique, the patient is encouraged to have a healthy defense rather than an unhealthy defense.
|It helps to regain self-worth
|Exploration of Solutions
|Examine alternative ways to solve the immediate problems.
Phases of Intervention:
- Immediate crisis intervention or psychological first aid
- Second phase
- Third phase
Immediate Crisis Intervention:
- In this phase of crisis intervention, information about the patient is collected for short-term assessment and helps the patient to resist any state of crisis.
- The medical, physical, and mental health of the patient is also treated in this phase. In this phase, the personal need of the patient is also fulfilled.
- In this phase of crisis intervention, an assessment of the needs is done to check which services and resources should be provided to the victim to give him emotional support.
- The main objective of this phase is to check how a state of crisis has affected the victim’s life. After going through the state of the patient a plan is devised for the recovery of the patient.
- Recovery intervention helps victims restabilize their lives and becomes healthy again.
- It helps the victim to avoid any other phase of victimization in the future.
The Procedure of Crisis Intervention:
The process of crisis intervention will be dependent upon the severity and causes of the crisis. Some minor crises can be treated by providing friendly support. However, an experienced crisis counselor will be required for more complex crisis cases. They will follow the following procedure:
Provide correct cognitive perception:
1. Assessment of situation:
- Ask direct questions regarding events, and identify the cause, and involvement of people.
- Identify the patient’s support system
- Identify strengths and limitations
2. Defining Event:
- Identify the denial part and talk to the client
- Review details of the past 2-4 weeks
3. Develop a plan of Action:
- It needs the active involvement of patients and concerned people
- Use simple, clear, single-line instructions because the patient is mentally unstable
- Write down instructions because the patient is unable to retain information.
Assist the victim in managing Intense feelings:
1. Help the client to be aware of feelings:
- The client needs to know/identify their own feelings.
- Use appropriate communication techniques so the client will express his feelings without fear.
- The therapist should observe verbal and non-verbal behavior without any interference.
2. Helps individuals to obtain mastery over feelings:
- Provide adequate support, and guidance, and never give false reassurance.
- Never allow the client to blame others because this gives the client a sense of escape from taking responsibility.
- The proper discussion of the plan of action with the victim and concerned ones.
- Follow-up is necessary- modify the plan and revise if required.
Benefits of Crisis Intervention:
- To reduce the emotional stress of the victim.
- To protect the victim from having further stress in the future.
- To help the patient in managing daily life resources to meet basic needs and finding solutions to overcome crises to establish a good living.
- To help the victim in recovery from the crisis.
- Crisis intervention can take time ranging from one session to several weeks.
- One session of crisis intervention can range from 20 minutes to 120 minutes or even more in severe cases.
Place of Intervention:
The procedure of crisis intervention can take place in hospitals, counseling centers, mental health clinics, and crisis centers.
Crisis Intervention Training Course:
Canadian Ultrasound institute offers a one-day crisis intervention training workshop to its health care workers in Ontario Canada. The Institute will give the student a one-day training workshop which will include all the basic study material and guidance required to become a successful Crisis Intervention Counselor. At the end of the workshop, a certificate will be awarded to the participant.
Benefits of the Crisis Intervention Training Course:
- This course will assist you to learn how to defuse a challenge in anybody’s life and prevent the situation of crisis.
- The primary goal of the course is to reduce risk and increase safety in professional community service and health care settings.
- You will learn to organize your thinking on how situations escalate and what is the proper technique to tackle different crisis situations.
- You will learn basic crisis intervention techniques and deal with the participants in safe intervention procedures, including personal safety.
Crisis Intervention Training Course offered by Canadian Ultrasound Ontario:
They offer you a short duration course which is basically a one-day workshop of 6 hours. This workshop will give you crisis intervention training. You will have classroom lectures. The stipulated fee for this workshop crisis intervention training course fee is $300. You will get a Crisis Intervention Counselor Certificate from Canadian Ultrasound Institute after completing the workshop successfully.
|Crisis Intervention Training Course
Crisis Intervention Career in Canada:
The crisis Intervention Career plays important role in the health care field and investigation department and there is a huge demand for a specially trained and qualified person to perform his role as a crisis intervention counselor. Crisis Intervention counselor has a very bright future in Canada as they get a tempting salary of $2383 monthly.
Canadian Ultrasound Institute in Ontario ensures you a promising future ahead just by attending a short one-day workshop on Crisis Intervention. So, get enrolled in Canada’s best Institute for becoming a trained and successful crisis intervention counselor. You won’t regret it. Good day to you.